“Don’t cry for a man who’s left you–the next one may fall for your smile.” – Mae West
Mae West’s timeless witty words continue to resonate, offering a unique blend of humor, confidence, and female wisdom that remains relevant to this day.
Mae West, a trailblazing actress, playwright, and sex symbol of the early 20th century, was known for her hourglass figure, her razor-sharp wit and unabashed embrace of her own sensuality. She is most beloved for her figure of speech, the double entendre. Beyond her captivating on-screen presence, West was a woman of remarkable intelligence and astuteness, using her platform to challenge societal norms and empower women.
Mae West, a trailblazing figure of the 20th century, offers several timeless lessons for women in the 21st century. Her audacious personality, unapologetic approach to life, and sharp wit continue to inspire and empower women around the world.
Mae West was more of a lone wolf
Mae West was more of a lone wolf. While she was a public figure, Mae West was known for being private about her personal life. She carefully curated her public image and tried no to share intimate details with the media or the public.
She was known for her disciplined lifestyle and strong-willed and independent nature. She didn’t drink or smoke, which was unusual for the entertainment industry at the time.
“I’ll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.” – Mae West
That remarkable woman was known for her positive and optimistic attitude. She often projected confidence and exuded a sense of self-assuredness, both on and off screen. Her philosophy was based on avoiding dwelling on sadness or negative emotions. Instead, she focused on maintaining a joyful and vivacious outlook on life.
Independence was in Mae West’s blood. She was a trailblazer in many ways, both in terms of her career and her personal life. She often went against societal norms and forged her own path.
These traits contributed to the image of Mae West as a self-reliant and strong-willed person.
Controversy and legal troubles
Mae West’s provocative on-screen persona often spilled into her personal life. She faced legal troubles and was even arrested on charges of obscenity and public indecency at various points in her career.
Mae West personal life
Mae West was known for being quite private about her personal life, but there are some details that have been documented.
Throughout her life, West had several romantic relationships. She was secretly married to Frank Wallace, a fellow vaudeville performer, at age 17, but only lived with her husband for a few weeks. They didn’t legally divorce until 31 years later. Her long-term partner Paul Novak was 30 years her junior. She did not have any children.
She lived in several different homes over the years, including a well-known residence in Hollywood, which was famously decorated in a lavish, over-the-top style befitting her personality.
In her later years, Mae West faced some health challenges, including a stroke in 1970. Despite this, she continued to make occasional public appearances.
Witty wisdom of Mae West for your daily life
Here are some of the main lessons that women of the 21st century can learn from Mae West:
Embrace your authentic self
Mae West unapologetically embraced who she was, refusing to conform to societal expectations. In a world that often pressures women to fit certain molds, West’s example encourages women to be true to themselves and embrace their uniqueness.
Confidence is key
West exuded confidence in every aspect of her life. Her unwavering self-assuredness served as a powerful tool for breaking down barriers and achieving success. Women can learn from her example to believe in themselves and their abilities.
Challenge societal norms
Mae West was never one to shy away from controversy. She challenged the prevailing norms of her time, particularly regarding female sexuality and independence. Today, women can draw inspiration from her fearlessness in standing up against societal constraints.
Own your sexuality
West celebrated her sensuality and was unafraid to express it. She recognized that female sexuality is a natural and powerful aspect of a woman’s identity. Her example encourages women to embrace their own desires and preferences without shame.
Humor as a tool for empowerment
Mae West used humor as a means of empowerment. Her witty comebacks and clever one-liners allowed her to navigate a male-dominated industry with finesse. Women can learn from her ability to use humor to assert herself and make her voice heard.
Live life to the fullest
West’s famous line, “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough,” is a testament to her philosophy of seizing the moment. Women today can be inspired to live life with passion, purpose, and a sense of adventure.
Prioritize independence and self-reliance
Throughout her career, Mae West portrayed characters who were independent and self-reliant. This served as a powerful message that women can navigate life on their own terms, without depending on others for their happiness or success.
Celebrate your contradictions
West was a complex individual who embraced both her virtuous and daring sides. This acknowledgment of one’s multifaceted nature encourages women to embrace their own contradictions and complexities, recognizing that they are what make them unique.
Support other women
Mae West was known for surrounding herself with strong, supportive women. She understood the importance of solidarity among women in a world that often pits them against each other. Women today can learn from her example to uplift and empower one another.
Leave a lasting legacy
Mae West’s impact on entertainment and feminism is still felt today. Her legacy serves as a reminder that women have the power to shape history and leave a lasting mark on the world.
By embodying these lessons from Mae West, women of the 21st century can find inspiration to navigate their own paths with confidence, courage, and a sense of humor. Mae West’s legacy continues to be a beacon of empowerment for women everywhere.
Mae West quotes
- “I generally avoid temptation unless I can’t resist it.”
- “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
- “There are no good girls gone wrong – just bad girls found out.”
- “Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can’t figure out what from.”
- “Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.”
- “Good sex is like good bridge. If you don’t have a good partner, you’d better have a good hand.”
- “When I’m good, I’m very good, but when I’m bad, I’m better.”
- “I’ll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.”
- “I’m single because I was born that way.”
- “Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.”
- “I’m no model lady. A model’s just an imitation of the real thing.”
- “Ladies who play with fire must remember that smoke gets in their eyes.”
- “It’s not the men in your life that matters; it’s the life in your men.”
- “Don’t cry for a man who’s left you–the next one may fall for your smile.”
- “All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.”
- “Sex is an emotion in motion.”
- “I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.”
- “I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.”
- “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!”
- “It is better to be looked over than overlooked.”
- “I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.”
- “Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.”
- “Don’t keep a man guessing too long – he’s sure to find the answer somewhere else”
- “Women like a man with a past, but they prefer a man with a present.”
- “You are never too old to become younger!”
- “Look your best – who said love is blind?”
- “A woman in love can’t be reasonable – or she probably wouldn’t be in love.”
- “To err is human – but it feels divine.”
- “I have found men who didn’t know how to kiss. I’ve always found time to teach them.”
- “If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!”
- “Getting married is like trading in the adoration of many for the sarcasm of one.”
- “I didn’t discover curves; I only uncovered them.”
- “Men are my hobby, if I ever got married I’d have to give it up.”
- “When women go wrong, men go right after them.”
- “Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”
- “Love conquers all things except poverty and toothache.”
- “I never loved another person the way I loved myself.”
- “Keep a diary and one day it’ll keep you.”
- “The score never interested me, only the game.”
- “An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.”
- “One more drink and I’ll be under the host.”
- “Love isn’t an emotion or an instinct – it’s an art.”
- “No one can have everything, so you have to try for what you want most.”
- “I’ve been in more laps than a napkin.”
- “Don’t marry a man to reform him – that’s what reform schools are for.”
- “Men are like linoleum floors. Lay ’em right and you can walk all over them for years.”
- “If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.”
- “Men are all alike – except the one you’ve met who’s different.”
- “Brains are an asset, if you hide them.”
- “I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor, and rich is better.”